Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.
I have returned to this blog after an absence of more than one year to give my readers (all five of you) an update. When I last updated you, I was becoming interested in Permaculture and had begun converting my yard from a conventional yard with lawns and ornamental plants to a Permaculture style landscape filled primarily with edible and medicinal plants.
As I became immersed in learning about Permaculture, I also began examining my life and goals for the future. The time I spent learning about Permaculture and working on implementing it in my surroundings was very satisfying to me. I decided it was time for me to move towards a different path for my life.
I set the following goals for myself:
- Become debt-free so that I have more flexibility in my employment requirements
- Obtain a Permaculture Design Certificate so that I could start a Permaculture business
- Find a piece of land 2-5 acres in size to use to develop a Permaculture Farm
- Identify multiple income streams that could be produced by me from the products of the farm
- Transition from working full-time for someone else to working full-time on my farm.
I have made progress in achieving these goals.
- I expect to be debt-free (except for mortgage) in 18 months
- I have obtained my Permaculture Design Certificate from Geoff Lawton/Permaculture Institute
- TMOTH and I are actively working with a realtor to find a property, concurrently with preparing our home to sell
- I am currently working on the administrative details to start my business, Rancho Seabow Permaculture
I have identified the following potential income streams for my business:
- Jams, jellies and sauces
- Essential Oils and Herbal products
- Dried value added products like elderberry and moringa powder
- Dried gourds and items made from gourds (e.g birdhouses, candle holders etc.)
- Depending on property, may list secondary housing units for vacation rentals
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
This weekend I’ll be setting up a Rancho Seabow Permaculture blog. My Paleo Passage archives will be accessible. Either url will direct to the new blog. Hope to see a few of you there as I journey through the creation of a Permaculture business.